Lemberg Square

Lemberg is situated in a narrow valley at the Lemberžica Stream. The Lemberg Castle, which stood on a hill near the Church of St. Pankrat, was first mentioned in 1144. Its trails are almost not visible anymore. The owners used to be the Lords of Žovnek, who received the title of counts for this land in 1341.
A nearby hill still contains ruins of the Videršek Castle. For this castle, we know only that it was owned by the Tattenbachs and that it was demolished by the imperial army in 1671.
The settlement that developed under the castle was mentioned as a patrimonial square with ordinary market rights and privileges in 1386 and 1436. Its position on the crossing of roads towards Šmarje, Rogatec and Poljčane enabled the development of trade and crafts. Later, the square obtained the right to six annual and cattle fairs. Pottery and the leather trade were important crafts. But Lemberg failed to develop anything more than a market street and also had no walls. It reached its climax in the 18th century. When the parish was moved to Sladka Gora and the road led through Pečica and Podplat, it started to fall apart in the first half of the 19th century. It burnt down on two occasions. Its noble past is attested by the pillory in the middle of the square and the former town hall next to it.
 
Town Hall
The building was constructed in 1796 (written on the southern façade). Its historical function attests to the importance and noble history of Lemberg. The town hall is a two-storey, 3x2 axial building with a rectangular ground-plan and a steep shingle-covered 4-gable roof. It stands in the middle of a square. A stone, octagonal pillory leans against the town hall’s southern façade. The building’s current appearance is the result of renovation works from 1983 when a Baroque architectural painting in grey-blue and carmine red was discovered and reconstructed on its exterior. The corners of the building are emphasised with seamed edges, decorated with a quatrefoil motif; the floors are divided with low partitioned walls, and the window frames are embellished with ribbons and pompons. The front façade has two semi-circular linked portals with two head stones. The ground plan concept of the interior is simple and the same on both floors. Due to its fine art and architectural value and exceptionally preserved historical items, the town hall has the characteristics of a cultural monument of local importance. It has well preserved Baroque elements (windows, portal) and a small cell for prisoners under the stairs on the ground floor.

TIC Šmarje pri Jelšah
Aškerčev trg 24
3240 Šmarje pri Jelšah
KONTAKT
T:
+386 (0)3 810 72 64
F:
+ 386 (0)3 817 16 26
E:

Celje

Žalec

Rogaška Slatina

Šentjur

Zreče