The Church of the Lady of Carmel, Marija Gradec

The construction of the church started in 1505 on the order of church locksmith Matija Stich from Laško. Four chapels were built in the 18th century at the foothills of the hill where the church is situated.

A special feature of the church is frescoes from 1526 that were discovered in 1927. They are marked by both Gothic as well as renaissance elements, since they were painted in a period when the Renaissance style was gaining importance in painting in addition to the Gothic style, thus the frescoes represent a rare monument of fine arts of that time.
The high altar in the church depicts the statue of the Lady of Carmel with child and dates back to the 17th century, while the side altars are devoted to the passion of the Christ and St. John the Baptist.
Until the end of the 18th century, a passion play or feast procession presenting the crucifixion was performed from the parish church in Laško to Marija Gradec. This is considered the first example of the Slovenian theatre play and theatre in Laško in general.
Main pilgrims’ gathering: Sunday after the feast of Our Lady of Carmel (16 July).

TIC Laško
Trg svobode 8
3270 Laško
+386 (0)3 733 89 50
+386 (0)3 733 89 56



Rogaška Slatina