Žovnek Castle

The Žovnek Castle is one of the oldest castles in Slovenia.
Its first known owner was the 12th century Savinjski family, who renamed themselves as Žovneški around 1150.
Following 1816, when it was vacated by its last owners, the building fell into ruin. The once mighty castle is now being gradually renovated.
The castle complex is accessed through a bridge leading to the renovated double entrance gate, which used to provide separate entry points for pedestrians and equestrians. Left from the entrance stands the most prominent section of the castle ruins, the round defensive tower that offered the Žovneški family sturdy protection. The tower is a two-storey building whose central part used to be situated on the first floor with the castle chapel.
To the right of the entrance gate lie remains of the outer and inner southern castle walls.
The main section of the castle was its living quarters or palazzo, but it is now almost entirely ruined. The only remainders of the majestic palazzo are two "spires" which were fully renovated in 2008.

TURISTIČNO DRUŠTVO BRASLOVČE
BRASLOVČE 22
3314 BRASLOVČE
KONTAKT
T:
+386 31 896 938

Celje

Žalec

Rogaška Slatina

Šentjur

Zreče